Solange premiered the video for “Lovers In The Parking Lot” yesterday and just like the song, it’s subtle yet poignant. Here’s some things to note while watching:
1. The 80’s filtered video was filmed in Solange’s hometown of Houston, TX at Kings Flea Market, a place that has just about everything from watches and wigs to video games. It’s also a place filled with memories for the singer. Says Solange, “Pretty much every phase of growing up there was something attracting me to King’s flea market. It just feels so natural to tell these stories in a place that’s inspired so many of them.”
2. The Texas native specifically remembers “buying my rims, my nameplates, my bang for the trunk, my fake cross colours, my pickles…” at Kings.
3. The video was co-directed by Solange with Peter J Brant and Emily Kai Bock and produced by The Creator’s Project.
4. Bun B of UGK fame (and guest lecturer at Rice University) and Mannie Fresh (Solange sampled his drums) make cameos/bust-a-move with Sol-angel.
5. Completely on trend, the style maven rocks a metallic sweatshirt with matching light up shoelaces(!) among other pieces, including a luxe of pink metallic hotpants.
6. Hair flipping. Solange made sure the video had lots of hair flipping.
Solange has new music slated for Spring and is working with Sampha, Dave Longstreth of Dirty Projectors, and Patrick Wimberly of Chairlift this go round. Follow her Saint Records Instagram for delicious updates.