Sound Dessert’s Gillian Driscoll was on sight at the 2014 Austin City Limits music festival interviewing bands on behalf of the soon-to-launch UGTV. Getting the behind-the-scenes scoop on festival life has it’s eye-opening and surprising moments, but you’ll have to wait ’till UGTV launches to find out exactly what that entails (surprise makeouts, for one).
The talent was on point as per usual. We’re talking tUnE-yArDs, Lucius, Phantogram, Sam Smith, Mac Demarco, MØ, Iggy Azalea, Jenny Lewis, Falls, Temples, Chromeo, The Preatures…the list goes on. While it wasn’t possible to see it all, I squeezed in what I could. Here’s some highlights and photos from weekend one:
1. OutKast: Getting to see André 3000 and Big Boi together in all their glory was sublime. When André 3000 called for everyone to “shake it like a Polaroid picture” you bet yo ass everyone did just that.
2. Random celebrity sightings: While casually strolling along the grounds I’d occasionally look up and recognize a familiar face. This included Adrien Grenier (the man is at every festival is he not?), Matthew McConaughey donned in a shirt that read “I get older, they stay the same age”, and Sonny Moore hanging out and being friendly with fans and admirers.
3. Flash tattoos: This is the latest festival accessory craze and personally, I think it’s here to stay. Practically everyone was rockin’ them, myself included.
4. Special effects. Tons of bands went all out pimping their stages with lights, projections and projectiles. From Broken Bells’ massive pink inflatable balls bouncing above the audience, Zedd’s pyrotechnics, and St. Vincent’s stage climbing (not to mention her hypnotizing blue eye-makeup), there was plenty to hold people at attention.
5. The bands: Of course the biggest highlight was the music and talking to the bands. It was awesome chatting with Empires, Snowmine, Arum Rae, Sphynx and more and getting their perspective on festivals, touring and everything in between. Check out some shots of the weekend below: